midi articulation

From: Daniel Birns
Subject: midi articulation
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 17:21:13 +0000

Hi all,

Okay, I see what articulate.ly does. However… has anyone tried to do this
within the midi generator. I debugged the python_midi.c file, and I can see
what it’s doing. Geez, it seems like at the point where the midi file is being
generated, lilypond ought to know everything about what’s the score, and ought
to be able to apply articulation easily and much more correctly at that point.

Has anyone tried doing this? My guess is it’s nowhere near as easy as I think
it should be. But, honestly, the midi files suck. As a Sibelius user, this is a
showstopper — Sibelius does a beautiful job at this, and it seems like it
shouldn’t be difficult for lilypond to do the same.

I’m a software developer — not python, nor guile , but just about everything
else, but especially C++. I could do guile and python if needed. Perhaps I
should try this, but is there interest? Do I have time for this? And why
haven’t the others who know a great deal more about this than I do, done this?

Thanks. No criticism at all intended: I think lilypond is amazing.

-d