Re: Where is the latest articulate.ly?

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Where is the latest articulate.ly?
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 01:22:29 +0100

On 24.03.2016 01:10, Daniel Birns wrote:
So, the default is 7/8 (though I’m not sure yet what 1 . 2 is…)

'(1 . 2), equivalent to (cons 1 2), is a scheme pair.

but I wondered about 7/8. CPE Bach says normally notes are play for 1/2 their duration,

That’s a very debatable quote. Numerical relations can only say so much, and it depends on instrument, style, character, etc. etc. You’d have to ask to which exact instrument and what situation Emanuel would have referred here. It’s a huge topic to discuss, but 1/2 as a default is definitely a very uncommon choice.

so 7/8 is not detectable I think.

Oh yes, of course it is. It’s the equivalent to some kind of ‘non-legato’, which is the most ‘neutral’ articulation I can think of.

Best, Simon