Re: Fonts from the former fonts.openlilylib.org

From: bart deruyter
Subject: Re: Fonts from the former fonts.openlilylib.org
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 15:22:33 +0200

Hi all,

reading this thread, I've been doing some searching, rather 'googling' about fonts and lilypond.

Given the current situation, there is a lot of confusion. With this I mean that right now I find everywhere that you can change the font, of course fonts.openlilylib.org is closed, which leads us to close to none free alternative fonts (I might be wrong though, but I know of none, except Bravura and lilyJazz).

But on for example http://lilypondblog.org/ there are several articles about the fonts now being in the discussion, with links to fonts.openlilylib.org, which don't work anymore of course.

Also, the way how to install fonts in lilypond is quite hard to find on the web. It is an action not every user performs regularly, so people (like me) tend to forget and have to look it up again. I used to look it up on fonts.openlilylib.org, but that one is down. So now I found the detailed instructions on a github page.

I have those fonts downloaded about a year ago, I guess. I don't really need them at the moment, but because of reading this thread I tried to install them again now, using todays lilypond code and it took me about an hour, reading through articles just to find an up to date instruction to know what to do.

What I want to say is that for an average user, not following this mailing list, it is hard to figure out what is going on right now. Or to know what to do if they find alternative fonts.

I understand that Abraham needs time to figure out what he will do with his fonts in the future, but it I think it is important that the information on blogs and other websites are updated to the current situation, even only a warning in the article,  mentioning that the fonts are not available (or an alternative site where the fonts are) at the moment would be enough. Also the information about how to install those fonts, in detail, as in step by step guide, with and without scripts to ease the installation process, should be more easily found.

grtz,
Bart

Am 27. März 2016 10:13:20 MESZ, schrieb tisimst <address@hidden>:
>Andrew,
>
>On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 12:39 AM, N. Andrew Walsh [via Lilypond] <
>address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> A side note: it seems to me that one of Abraham's root causes for
>wanting
>> to commercialize the substantial work he's done making engraving
>fonts is
>> his own financial situation.
>>

>You have understood the situation correctly!
>

>> If this is the case, it might be worth considering some of the
>> crowd-funding mechanisms that support development work. For example,
>though
>> I've never used it before, Patreon ( www.patreon.com) allows groups
>> fund developers with a monthly contribution. One or two people
>chipping in
>> might not amount to much, but a whole lot of people chipping in a bit
>might
>> indeed make up a substantial supplementary income. (one of my
>favorite game
>> mods is funded this way, netting the developer about €1k a month).
>>
>> My concern is that trying to build an income by commercializing fonts
>that
>> have already been out in the wild for a while seems problematic both
>from
>> the side of its viability as a business venture and from the
>licensing side
>> (as well as the social side of a community that's been freely using a
>> resource that now looks to become somewhat less free). Abraham, is
>this an
>> option that you've considered?
>>
>> On the purely abstract level, I'm much more in favor of working from
>> patronage rather than sales and licensing.
>>

>I'm really glad you brought this up. To be quite honest, I have
>considered
>it and I continue to wrestle with the idea. I am definitely willing to
>consider this. That way, I can technically continue to offer the fonts
>freely and the regular patronage covers any continued development as
>well
>as user support. In fact, I'd much rather do this if I can feel find a
>crowd-funding service that I feel good about. I have considered Patreon
>before, but before I jump into that, does anyone else have any other
>suggestion? If anyone has first-hand experiences with crowd-funding, I
>would appreciate hearing from you.

You had this "Donate" button online. Did this generate *anything*?