Re: Shape of ties

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Shape of ties
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 11:22:40 +1100

Hi Dimitris,

The code for flared ties that Thomas pointed you to was in reply to my request very similar to yours some time ago. I use this code extensively and it works fine up to and including 2.19.38. So you can be confident in its use.

You may be interested to know that the reason I need it is to set music of the New Complexity school, modernist music where the 19c style curvy ties are very much out of favour. So, a similar reason to yours.

The shape of the tapered brackets and the flare can be adjusted a little in the code if necessary to tune the appearance. But a question for Thomas: sometimes the horizontal line of the tie finds its way to sit very close or directly on a staff line. Since these lines are straight and not curved, this can sometimes make them hard to read. Would it be possible to add a feature to be able to fine tune the vertical position of an individual tie to the function? I don’t mind issuing an override to do that manually where required.

Andrew