Multiple stanza lines under second section of music

From: Henry Law
Subject: Multiple stanza lines under second section of music
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 12:14:07 +0100

I am scoring a simple song which begins with its refrain, after which each stanza is sung, followed again by the refrain. I therefore need the words of the refrain to appear once under the first few bars (on the line below the melody staff), but multiple lines of words to appear under the staff for the remaining bars.

Thus (warning: fixed-pitch font required)

Words of the refrain! Verse one.All together now .. :
                      Verse two, and we sing ..      :
                      Verse three, etc

I tried hacking it by creating a lyrics variable consisting of nothing but spaces and then prepending it within the \addlyrics command for all but the first verse, but (a) it's kludgy, and (b) it provoked a weird error where the chords of the second and subsequent systems were overlayed on the staff lines!

This must be a common thing to want to do: lots of folk songs have this layout. Can someone tell me the right way to do it? (Small fragment attached, showing how I don't want to do it!)

--

Henry Law            Manchester, England