Re: How to get swing feel from dotted notation?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: How to get swing feel from dotted notation?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 08:51:24 +0200

Henry Law <address@hidden> writes:

> On 31/03/16 01:48, Colin Campbell wrote:
>> into more of a triplet effect
>
> If I, as a sometime jazz player, were trying to communicate the effect
> of "swing" then I'd say, summarising brutally and rather inaccurately,
> "It's written as 4/4 but played as 12/8."
>
> In other words the player adds something that's not written down,

If typeset properly, the spacing will be swung as well (if you have 2
eighths against 3 eighth triplets, the second eighth will be aligned
with the last triplet, for example).

> which is going to make it rather hard for you to generate MIDI which,
> since it's generated from the written-down bits, is /ipso facto/
> lacking the "feel" that the player adds.

8*4/3 8*2/3 should work for both typesetting as well as Midi.  But you'd
really want to have some music function to do the swinging rather than
having to do it manually for every note.

--
David Kastrup