Placement of dots

From: Joseph N. Srednicki
Subject: Placement of dots
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2016 16:22:16 -0400

Please see the following example.

Note: There have been some recent issues of the mail programs lopping thing
off such a final brace when pasting examples. I re-pasted the following
example and recompiled it before sending this message. So, I am hoping that
it comes through without anything missing.

In the middle voice in the second measure of the example below, the two g
notes in the middle voice move the dots to the right of the g.

Instead, I would like to move the dots next to the notes to which they apply
instead of the position following the intervening g notes.

I looked at Snippet http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=674.

According to this snippet, the command \override
Staff.NoteCollision.prefer-dotted-right = ##t is supposed to move the dots
to the position to the immediate right of the notes to which they apply; no
notes are supposed to intervene between a note and the dot to which it
applies.

Therefore, in my example, the notes should appear to the left of the g notes
in the second measure.

However, I tried placing the \override
Staff.NoteCollision.prefer-dotted-right = ##t in a variety of locations, but
to no avail.

For example, I tried using a \context {\Staff ... statement in a layout
block. I also tried putting the statement in the global variable. In yet
another try, I placed the \override before a particular dotted

Can someone please tell me how what I am misunderstanding or doing
correctly?

Ideally, I would like to make this change globally for the entire score.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with a suggestion or correction.

Joe Srednicki

=====================

\version "2.19.35"
\language "english"

\layout {
  \context {
    \Voice
    \consists "Melody_engraver"
    \override Stem #'neutral-direction = #'()

global = {
  \key c \major
  \numericTimeSignature
  \time 3/4
}

rightOne = \relative c'' {
  \global
  \new Voice = "soprano" \voiceOne
  \partial 4 g ( | % pickup
  c4.) b8 [c8. d16] | % 1
}

rightTwo = \relative c' {
  \global
 <c e>8._\ff <d f>16 | % pickup
  \stemUp \override NoteColumn.force-hshift = 0.9 g2 g4 \revert
NoteColumn.force-hshift | % 1
}

leftOne = \relative c' {
  \global
   \skip 4 | % pickup
  \change Staff = "right" \stemDown e4. d8 [e8. f16] | % 1
}

leftTwo = \relative c' {
  \global
  % Music follows here.
}

pedal = \relative c {
  \global
 \partial 4
  c4 | % pickup
  c4 c c | % 1
 }

\score {
  <<
    \new PianoStaff \with {
      instrumentName = "Org."
      shortInstrumentName = "Org."
    } <<
      \new Staff = "right" << \rightOne \\ \rightTwo >>
      \new Staff = "left" { \clef bass << \leftOne \\ \leftTwo >> }

    \new Staff = "pedal" { \clef bass \pedal }

  \layout { }