Re: fondu problems on El Capitan

From: Mats Behre
Subject: Re: fondu problems on El Capitan
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 22:41:27 +0200

On 2016-04-02 16:36, Mats Behre wrote:
On 2016-04-02 15:41, Andrew Bernard wrote:
Hi Mats,

Yes, with an MWE including this font specification as in your example fails
with a fatal error on Mac OS X 10.11.4.

\header {
   composer = \markup  \right-align { \override #'(font-name . "Times Bold")
"Rodgers/Hart" }
}

Extract from running lilypond –V:

Invoking `fondu -force /System/Library/Fonts/Times.dfont'...

dyld: Symbol not found: __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart
   Referenced from:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
   Expected in:
/Users/andro/Lilypond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/../lib/libJPEG.dylib
  in /System/Library/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
warning: `(fondu -force /System/Library/Fonts/Times.dfont)' failed (5)

fatal error: failed files: "t.ly"

I would say this needs to be raised on the bug list.

OK, is this something you expect me to do? (Can't say I understand much other
than that there's some entry that is no longer available.)

And will you try to understand the resource fork problem too?
fondu seems to be available on sourceforge, so I might be able to download and
try to build - but I have no experience with resource fork reading on OS X, and
the code seems to be from 2005 while the latest version is from 2013 so I'm not
sure there isn't another source ...

I actually did this, and with some googling I've found out that the method for opening resource
forks used in fondu - appending "/rsrc" to the file name - stopped working already in
10.7 Lion. (This surprises me a bit, I thought I'd used Lilypond successfully since then, but
perhaps not with resource fork fonts ...) Instead you must append "/..namedfork/rsrc".

A version of fondu built with this change works with Lilypond, so I can insert
it in the package on my computer.
Interestingly, for some reson it also seemed to have solved the problem Andrew
commented on above.

I'm not sure on how to go about to make it into the distributed fondu (which
will have to test for the OS version, I guess) or Lilypond, and the string is
repeated in at least some of the other programs of the fondu package, so I
guess some refactoring would be useful as well.

Any suggestions?

Mats