Re: I'm not smart enough to figure out the math for this.

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: I'm not smart enough to figure out the math for this.
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 13:21:29 -0400

On Mar 9, 2016, at 6:27 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

\version "2.19.28"

show =
#(define-music-function (mup item) (markup? symbol-list-or-music?)
 (propertyTweak 'stencil
  (lambda (grob)
   (grob-interpret-markup grob mup))
  item))

\relative c' \new Staff {
 \show \markup \compound-meter #'(4 . 3)
 \time 3/4
 c4 c c | c c c
}

Maybe we should have \show (possibly with a different name) as a nice
supplement to \omit/\hide.

This seems like a good idea to me.  Previously when this was discussed, I argued that the function should take a stencil as well as a markup and maybe a procedure too…  but I now see the sense in just providing a simple and high-level shortcut that takes a markup.  (And “ \markup \stencil sss “ still allows use of stencils.)

Cheers,
-Paul