Re: Weird error when using skipTypesetting

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Weird error when using skipTypesetting
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 23:46:04 +0200

Am 04.04.2016 um 23:30 schrieb Sharon Rosner:
Hi all,

I’m getting a bunch of "programming error: insane spring distance requested, ignoring it” etc errors when compiling the following:

\version "2.19.37"

music = \relative c' {
  c1 d e f \bar "||"
  \set Score.skipTypesetting = ##t
  g a b c
}

{ \music }

In addition, the music is cut immediately after the last note, and does not show the bar line that I’m explicitly asking for:

Does somebody have an idea what I’m doing wrong?

No, but I can confirm that I'm always seeing this issue when setting skipTypesetting to ##t.

Somehow I have the impression that the two issues are related. When compiling I see two sets of warnings, complaining (in that order) about
- insane spring distance requested
- insane spring min_distance requested
- insane spring constant

If you repeat the first line, say, eight times (so the music spans three systems) all copies are correct except the last, and there is exactly the same amount of six error/warnings in the end.

The spring is the metaphor for the code that is responsible for stretching out the music horizontally to fill the line. My impression is that the skipTypesetting prevents the spring on the last item to be properly "attached" to the "wall to the right".

I think you don't do anything wrong but that is suboptimal behaviour, therefore this is CC'd to bug-lilypond.

Urs

Thanks
Sharon