optimizing ties

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: optimizing ties
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 11:21:27 +0200

Hi list,

I am working on a large score with several ties. You might have read about Janek's thoughts on a tie-crusade and maybe this is related. I don't have a perfect solution on this topic, but I could reduce the needed shape-tweaks significantly. I want to share it - probably it helps one and the other has another idea.

The problem I am talking of, are the ties, which sometimes are very near to the next staff-line and are therefor difficult to read. I normally tweak them to make them more or less flat, so that the outer bow has a bigger distance to the next line. This control-point-function ('optie') modifies the tie just a little bit, to automate this procedure.
(If this doesn't fit, I can still use \shape.)

This function is more a proof of concept than a real proposal, but perhaps, this might inspire some development.

Cheers
Jan-Peter

P.S. @Janek: Is this something, you thought of with your tie-crusade?