Re: two beginners questions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: two beginners questions
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2016 17:55:59 +0200

mj <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Just trying out lilypond. I have created my first file, using the "new
> from template" function of frescobaldi.

Phil answered your main questions already.  Here is another note:

> \version "2.19.2"

LilyPond offers "even-numbered" stable versions (currently 2.18.2) and
"odd-numbered" development versions (currently 2.19.39).  The
development versions are where new features are developed and
solidified.  As a result, any given development version tends to have
some problems and the results change occasionally (more often than not,
they improve, but that's not guaranteed).  Also some stuff may cease
working at all for a version or two.  It's rare but by no means
impossible.

So while there does not tend to be much of a difference between, say,
using 2.18.0 and 2.18.2 (the latter usually having a few more bug
fixes), differences in the 2.19 series are much larger and one usually
has the best balance between benefits and drawbacks of development
versions by sticking to fairly recent versions.

2.19.2, however, is almost as old as 2.18.0 (close to two years I
think).  It's actually older than 2.18.1.  That seems like a strange
choice to use.

Now I don't know whether this is the actual version you use or just what
you write in the input file.  But I found it worth mentioning.

--
David Kastrup