Re: chordmode and markup

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: chordmode and markup
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 00:44:21 +0200

> Gianmaria Lari <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Sorry to ask something probably trivial but reading manual and making tests
>> didn't help me.
>>
>> This works perfectly:
>> \version "2.19.39"
>> {
>>   a4 _\markup {test}
>> }
>>
>> but this doesn't:
>>
>> \version "2.19.39"
>> {
>>   \chordmode {c} \markup {test}
>> }
>>
>> Why? How can I write some text on the chords?
>
> Because you are doing something entirely different?
>
> The equivalent would be
>
> \version "2.19.39"
>
> \chordmode {
>   c_\markup {test}
> }
>

> --
> David Kastrup

The situation is a little more problematic, though.
\chordmode { c_\markup { test } }
works, yes, but both of the following two return an error:
\chordmode { c-\markup { test } }
\chordmode { c^\markup { test } }

Example-error:
error: markup outside of text script or \lyricmode
\chordmode { c^
               \markup { test } }

The problem is quite obvious.
"-" and "^" have special meaning in chordmode.

One way around:
\chordmode { c_\tweak #'direction #UP _\markup { test } }

Which is pretty ugly, but works.
I don't see any better way, though.

Cheers,
  Harm