Re: Technical question

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Technical question
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:15:06 +0200

On 07.04.2016 21:51, Philip Bergwerf wrote:
Hello everyone,

in the past i have woked with blender which is a 3d open source modelling,
animation program. And i noticed that when you have a fast video card, the
pogram works much faster. How about lilypond? lilypond works very slow in
grapic way. When my score becomes bigger i have to wait long to see my
result and this slows me down in my working proces.

So i was wondering if lilypond could work faster if the calculations are
calculated by the gpu in stead if the cpu? Because that is another sort of
processor?

My understanding is quite limited, but I believe this can’t give you much of an advantage, since most of the calculations done in LilyPond are not directly about graphics. If you compile a larger score, you’ll see that most of the time goes by with ‘Interpreting music’, ‘Preprocessing graphical objects’, and ‘Fitting music onto <x> pages’. Most of these are heuristic algorithms trying to find the best layout, not actually drawing the score.

HTH, Simon