Re: Technical question

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Technical question
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 19:27:31 -0500

On Fri 08 Apr 2016 at 01:43:01 (+0200), David Kastrup wrote:
> tyronicus <address@hidden> writes:
> > David Kastrup wrote
> >> LilyPond will not make use of a graphics card.  Indeed, for a single
> >> score, LilyPond will not make use of more than a single CPU core.
> >
> > After Lily decides how many systems to draw, could she
> > use multiple threads to draw systems simultaneously?
>
> There are various phases of typesetting that could conceivably work
> parallely on several configurations at once.

I suppose the obvious pair could be midi and layout, followed by
bookparts. But I only have two cores and one is likely to be being
hammered by playing music from a video file.

> However, as far as I know Guile-1 is not prepared to deal with multiple
> threads.  Guile-2 (which LilyPond is not able to use currently) is
> working towards that direction.

Multiple threads will address your aside concerning LP's use of
multiple cores, but of course it has little to do with the OP.
Probably like you, I can't see what 3D animation has to do with
LilyPond. It's a bit like comparing an ultrawide paint roller with a
touching-up brush. One is simple and massively parallel, the other is
making complicated decisions, not what GPUs are good for.

Cheers,
David.