Re: AutoBeam Behaving Properly?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: AutoBeam Behaving Properly?
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 09:40:30 +0100

On Thu, 2016-04-07 at 19:09 -0600, Karen S. Billings wrote:
> From an engineering standpoint, I would expect the "default" settings
> of an application to adequately address the "majority" of cases,

which would lead to endless arguments about which these are, and worse,
inconsistency when the majority of cases for a particular feature are
sometimes in the jazz field and for other things in orchestral or vocal
or ...
Instead (IIUC) LilyPond adopted from the outset the rule that it would
use the conventions from a perceived "golden age" of music engraving
(late 19th c. German engravers).
This cuts down arguments but does lead to people complaining when they
type 4/4 and get C and so on. I recall seeing an include file (?) called
modern-style.ly (or some such) which only contained a flatter slur
style, but something like that with no church rests, numerical time
signatures, no indent and all the other eyesores (:)) to be seen in
modern scores might lessen the time spent fielding this question.

Richard