Re: tie behavior

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: tie behavior
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 11:44:31 +0200

bill wolf <address@hidden> writes:

> My apologies, but that's terrible!  Thanks for pointing that out, David.  Let
> me
> try, again:
>
> \version "2.18.2"
>
> \relative c'' {
>
>   \new Staff <<
>     \new Voice { \voiceOne c8 e~ \once \hideNotes \once \override
>                        NoteColumn.force-hshift
>                        = #-1.2 e4 g8 d'~ \once \hideNotes d4 }
>     \new Voice { \voiceTwo c,4~ <c e g>8 \override
> TieColumn.tie-configuration =
>                        #'((2.0 . -1) (5.0 . 1)) e~ <e g>4~ <e g d'> }
>   >>

> }
>
> I sent a test to myself, which was pretty good.  Hopefully, it's
> legible on your end.

Better.

> I used two voices to control the directions of the beams while
> building triads.  One could say that i wrote out the finger pedalling.
> The problem is that i've never been able to figure out is how to get a
> tie to go between the same note in two different voices.

Well, not possible easily.  What you can do is to move the Tie_engraver
to Staff level, but then it will not get to see the per-Voice settings
of \voiceOne/\voiceTwo so you might need to give explicit directions.

Something like

\version "2.18.2"

\relative c'' {

  \new Staff \with { \consists "Tie_engraver" tieWaitForNote = ##t }
  <<
    \new Voice \with { \remove "Tie_engraver" }
    { \voiceOne c8 e~ s4 g8 d'~ s4 }
    \new Voice \with { \remove "Tie_engraver" }
    { \voiceTwo <c,_~>4 <c e g>8 e_~ <e~ g~>4 <e g d'> }

}
As you can see I use in-chord ties a bit, for avoiding duplicate ties
(have no good idea where they come from) that appear in 2.18.2 but
apparently not in current versions.  Also to be able to specify
individual tie directions with _ and ^ before the ties.

I am not saying that this approach will necessarily scale well to larger
scores.  Maybe we need some Tie_emergency_engraver at Staff level which
will connect stray ties.

--
David Kastrup