Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 161, Issue 39

From: albie
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 161, Issue 39
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 22:39:32 +0100

thank you
You concur with my interpretation

Alberto

Sent from my android device.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Sumbler <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Cc: "Alberto Simões" <address@hidden>
Sent: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 22:17

> > From: Alberto Simões <address@hidden>
> > To: lilypond <address@hidden>
> > Subject: Music Notation/Interpretation question
> > Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 21:38:51 +0100
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > This is not exactly a Lilypond doubt...
> >
> > but imagine a chord, in a left hand piano piece, with <c d g a>
> >
> > Lilypond will eventually put c and g at the left of the note stem, and d
> > and a at the right (what it does exactly is not relevant for the question).
> >
> > The question is:
> >   is the side of the note relevant when analyzing a music?
> >
> > Basically, during my music formation, nobody ever told me anything about
> > that. But last week, when asking a friend daughter to verify a
> > transcription, she said that the notes at the right of the stem should
> > be the ones relevant for the chord, and that the side of them is relevant...
> >
> > Do any of you ever heard anything about that? Or did you read anything?
> > If so, can you share your knowledge on that?
> >
> > Thank you
> > alberto

Which side of the stem the note appears on has no musical significance.
The convention is that the notes go to the right of the stem if the stem
points downwards, and to the left if the stem is an up-stem.

If two or more notes are only a second apart (e.g. f & g, g & a etc.)
then the convention is that the lower or lowest of these notes should go
to the left of the stem (no matter whether the stem goes up or down),
and after that the notes of the group go alternately right and left.

So if you have a tone cluster consisting of f, g, a, b, c, those five
notes go to the left, right, left, right and left respectively.

David