Re: Music Notation/Interpretation question

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Music Notation/Interpretation question
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 23:36:17 +0200

On 08.04.2016 22:38, Alberto Simões wrote:
Hi

This is not exactly a Lilypond doubt...

but imagine a chord, in a left hand piano piece, with <c d g a>

Lilypond will eventually put c and g at the left of the note stem, and d and a at the right (what it does exactly is not relevant for the question).

The question is:
 is the side of the note relevant when analyzing a music?

Basically, during my music formation, nobody ever told me anything about that. But last week, when asking a friend daughter to verify a transcription, she said that the notes at the right of the stem should be the ones relevant for the chord, and that the side of them is relevant...

Do any of you ever heard anything about that? Or did you read anything?
If so, can you share your knowledge on that?

If you ask me, that’s nonsense. Maybe someone at some time invented such a system, but if that is so, then it’s a very rare corner case and not applicable to the vast majority of scores. I also don’t think it’s useful (except to visualise some point made in a theoretical paper), since it will seriously impair legibility.

Yours, Simon