Re: visual structure vs musical structure

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: visual structure vs musical structure
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 08:42:34 +0200

On Apr 9, 2016, at 2:34 AM, Gianmaria Lari <address@hidden> wrote:

I have a music score like this:

a a a a
b b b b
c c c c
r1
a a a a
b b b b
c c c c

Then it would be nice to create a variable

fragment =
{
a a a a
b b b b
c c c c
}

and write the score in the following way:

\fragment
r1
\fragment

This is perfect but sometimes I need to format the score like this:

a a a a
b b b b
c c c c
r1
a a a a
b b b b \pagebreak
c c c c

How I should structure the lilypond source code in this case where the visual structure and the musical structure does not match? For the music structure I would like to create the variable fragment, but for the visual structure this does not work. What should I do?

Dear Gianmaria,

Have a look at http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/different-editions-from-one-source.en.html - it presents several ways of going about this, all of which are quite useful.

Cheers,
MS