Parallel music, adding a voice, stem not appearing

From: Joseph N. Srednicki
Subject: Parallel music, adding a voice, stem not appearing
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 18:56:50 -0400

Hello:

I am using parallel music. Please see the attached two-measure example to see the issue.

I have used four voices up until this point. However, in the second measure, I added a temporary voice for the a flat because it comes in as a fifth voice for two beats.

However, the second measure contains a quarter-note g tied over from the previous measure. The stem from the g does not appear or somehow the stem from the half note a flat is covering up the stem of the g.

When I use apply \override NoteColumn.force-hshift to either the g or a flat, both notes move.

Can anyone explain to me how to make the stem for the g to appear and how to shift only the g individually or only the a flat individually?

Also, if I have misunderstood something about how to code this situation, please let me know.

If anyone wants to know, this issue occurs in measures in measures 63 and 64 in the third movement of Mendelssohn’s Organ Sonata Number 2. Some editions show the a flat as a dotted half note, which makes things easier. Others show the a flat as a half note without the dot. The latter is the situation that I am trying to deal with.

(Also, I am not trying to make an urtext edition; I am making own performing edition with my own annotations.)

If any has the time to advise me, I appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Joe Srednicki

\version "2.19.35"

\language "english"

global = {

  \key c \minor

  \time 3/4

}

r-half = {\once \override NoteColumn.force-hshift = 0.5}

\parallelMusic #'(soprano alto tenor bass pedal) {

   % 63

  \r-half c2.~ |

  \stemDown bf'4 af g~ |

  \change Staff= "right" \stemDown g''4 \skip 2 |

  \change Staff="right" \r-half ef'4 \change Staff = "left" c4 bf! |

  c2.~ |

  % 64

  <<{\voiceOne \stemUp  c2.}\\{\voiceTwo \once \override NoteColumn.force-hshift = 1 af2 \skip 4}>> |

  \stemDown g4 f ef |

  \change Staff = "left" \stemUp c,2. |

  r4 af g |

  c2. |