Re: Lilypond error behaviour

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Lilypond error behaviour
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 08:58:25 +0100

On Sat, 2016-04-16 at 12:14 +1000, Andrew Bernard wrote:
> So gentlemen, since this is a regular source of confusion, and it
> certainly has had me glued up for many days wondering what is wrong
> with my code, should this not be raised as a defect, or at the very
> least the adjetctive ‘fatal’ removed fromt he message, and replaced
> with ‘warning’ or something else?
>

> As to lilypond making a best effort at producing output, I have never
> seen this referred to in the NR. That ought to go in somewhere. But
> for my preference, a serious syntax error which is just outright
> garbage should in my opinion not produce any output. Other types of
> compilers would stop. If there is such an error it neeeds attention,
> not PDF output I reckon.

However, the output PDF is often the fastest way of seeing the source
and nature of the trouble. Unlike compiling an executable program where
the output of a broken executable would be counter-productive, you can
often see where it starts to go wrong looking at a PDF. And, indeed,
I've seen many cases where the output PDF is just fine despite LilyPond
not expecting it; useful for those using a front end that don't really
understand the syntax generated.

Richard