Re: Lilypond error behaviour

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Lilypond error behaviour
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 12:33:31 +0200

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 17. April 2016 10:51:34 MESZ, schrieb David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>>Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Well, then let LilyPond report an error when it encounters one. But
>>> only then a "fatal" one when it actually forces LilyPond to stop.
>>
>>For any _correct_ input, LilyPond is eventually forced to stop.
>
> This is the point where I have to say you are talking bullshit,
> deliberately (?) and arbitrarily flipping around everyone's words and
> intentions. It doesn't make sense to continue with that thread.

So what does "force to stop" mean in your opinion?  That LilyPond should
refrain from completing the current PDF it has open and make sure that
it is invalid or deleted?  What if the input file generated more than
one PDF?  Should it delete or invalidate the PDF files it has written
previously?  What if it had already written a PDF but fails during
generation of a MIDI or vice versa?

I don't get the obsession with "it is not an error if LilyPond does not
immediately crash and leaves bad output or none at all".

When is a stop forced?  Is LilyPond allowed to produce an error message
before crashing?

--
David Kastrup