Re: Lilypond error behaviour

From: Sharon Rosner
Subject: Re: Lilypond error behaviour
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 14:12:26 -0700 (MST)

> Except that the premise of this thread was that users refuse to look
> _at_ _all_ at _any_ messages or error status and instead want to be able
> to deduce the presence of errors from the existence of output files.

> So it pretty much doesn't matter what we write on the console: it's not
> acceptable for LilyPond to produce any file in case of a syntax error.

Actually the premise of this thread was something altogether different, and
I'd rather believe it's a simple case of misunderstanding than you trying
deliberately to make any sort of healthy debate futile:

Andrew started with:

Then Simon wrote:

> To me, the oddity would be in that Lily speaks of a ‘fatal error’ here.

That's the whole premise for you right there. The existence or absence of
output files is just a corollary.

If we can further pinpoint the discussion, given the current way lilypond
handles parsing (or other) errors, what *is* the meaning of 'fatal error'?

Sharon