Re: Lilypond error behaviour

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Lilypond error behaviour
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 17:33:51 -0500

> On Apr 17, 2016, at 3:16 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Noeck <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> These two are often similar but not always.
>> IMHO, it would make sense to consider both and have 3 categories:
>> - warning: user, please look at this
>> - error: this is severe, there is something definitely wrong, but
>>  Lilypond did its very best to keep running
>> - fatal error: this is severe and Lilypond could not rescue the
>>  situation, nothing was produced
>
> We are not talking about "nothing was produced" since LilyPond can't
> change the past.  The demand rather boils down to "if LilyPond has
> already successfully produced anything, that should not be left
> available and the PDF should not be completed properly."

Having read this thread from the perspective of a musician who uses LilyPond
rather than a programmer who is also a musician, I don't don't understand the
controversy.  It seems to me that LilyPond should produce whatever output it
can from the syntax such as it is- whether that is a garbled PDF file or MIDI
file- because that helps point the user to the syntax error in a very concrete
way.  "Oh, my forced breaks failed there and I see the note with the wrong
duration that caused it."  For me it is helpful to have the output; having
LilyPond say essentially "you effed up, son, and you can't have a PDF to check
it out" is less helpful to me.