Re: 'absolute' pitches do not influence 'relative' ones

From: Leszek Wroński
Subject: Re: 'absolute' pitches do not influence 'relative' ones
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 11:43:14 +0200

Works like a charm. Thank you very much!

Cheers,

Leszek.

On 18 April 2016 at 11:02, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Leszek Wroński <address@hidden> writes:

> Guys,
>
> if you do this:
>
> \relative c'' {a \absolute {a''} b}
>

> then you jump up an octave and down a seventh. Now, suppose you want the
> notes AFTER the absolute one 'borrow' the pitch from it, so that in my
> example the 'b' would actually be absolute b''. How would one do this
> without creating a new \relative _expression_?

Not readily doable since there is no separate operation of tracking the
last pitch and turning music into relative.

> "Why on Earth would anyone want to do anything like this", I hear you
> ask?  I realised that this seems to be the simplest way of solving my
> infuriating tagging issue with long music expressions written in the
> \relative mode, with which I don't want to trouble you.

I recommend taking a look at \resetRelativeOctave instead.  If you write

\resetRelativeOctave a''

_separately_, it will not typeset any music but have the desired effect.

I find that it is essentially not documented at all.

--
David Kastrup