Re: Multi-measure rests and mark collisions ...

From: Anthonys Lists
Subject: Re: Multi-measure rests and mark collisions ...
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 15:47:59 +0100

On 22/04/2016 14:31, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
David K wrote:
>Hm?  How could you even have a compressed multi-measure rest when there
>is anything like an "8-bar phrase" in parallel?
>That sounds like a problem that cannot occur.
I assume Wol (like me) has the problem where the compressed rest happens in the
part, not in the full score — but one wants not to have to use multiple \tag
constructs just to handle this issue.
Exactly... I write my music with "voiceStaff" to contain all the score-level stuff eg tempi, tune names, rehearsal marks etc, and "voiceInstrument" to contain the stuff that varies by instrument, eg notes, dynamics, anything else like that ...

In the case example, the phrase is eight bars long, commencing with a two-bar rest. For another instrument, it won't have a rest. And I don't want the output to change dramatically depending on what's in the part.

So of course, because voiceStaff is not meant to contain notes, it uses "s" all the time. And I very rarely produce scores, this case is absolutely typical for me in that we only have a bass-clef part, and because while some players in our section can read both, we have some players who can only read bass or treble clef so transposing is a regular requirement. So I'll have three parts to do, 1st, 2nd and bass.

And because text seems to centre on the "s" (or something like that), as you say, its appearance is affected greatly by what happens to be in the part :-( I just want markups to be able to shunt stuff out of the way *sideways*. Bearing in mind the parts I'm setting, often the cost of a page turn is unacceptable, so to lose a huge amount of space because a markup increases staff spacing (or wastes horizontal space pushing music aside) is a nightmare. A march part, for example, has to cram an entire piece onto a piece of A5 paper (half-letter size, for Americans). And no, you can't just turn over ...

Wol: Scan through the thread starting
at<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-10/msg00517.html>  and
see if anything there helps.
Thanks, I'll investigate.