Re: Python 3, was Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 2.19.0

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Python 3, was Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 2.19.0
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 21:59:50 +1000

Hi David,

But lilypond ships its own internal version of python in …lilypond/usr/bin. Is
this not to shield lilypond from system versions?

In my Ubuntu I have:

$ uname -a
Linux fivefold 4.2.0-35-generic #40-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 15 22:15:45 UTC 2016
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ /usr/bin/python --version
Python 2.7.10

and in the lilypond install:

$ ./python
Python 2.4.5 (#1, Apr  5 2015, 13:45:28)
[GCC 4.9.2] on linux

Clearly a considerably, and not entirely compatible, earlier version - as I
know, having written a whole lot of python scripts for lilypond in 2.7 before
realising we are on 2.4.

I am aware the entire ecosystem has to be ported. I am offering to do the work.
It does not bother me that you think it is ‘unsexy’.

But I don’t understand why the system vesion of python matters. Why do we
bundle it then?

Also, python 2 and 3 stand happily side by side on my openSUSE systems, ny
Ubuntu systems, my Fedora systems, and my Debian systems. I am having trouble
seeing what the issue is. If there comes a dependcy on python 3, surely anybody
who is capable of downloading and installing lilypond can also download and
install python 3?

Andrew