Re: Multi-measure rests and mark collisions ...

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Multi-measure rests and mark collisions ...
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 21:13:11 -0500

On Sat 23 Apr 2016 at 11:25:05 (+0100), Wols Lists wrote:
> On 22/04/16 19:36, David Wright wrote:
> >> Exactly... I write my music with "voiceStaff" to contain all the
> >> score-level stuff eg tempi, tune names, rehearsal marks etc, and
> >> "voiceInstrument" to contain the stuff that varies by instrument, eg
> >> notes, dynamics, anything else like that ...
> >>
> >> In the case example, the phrase is eight bars long, commencing with
> >> a two-bar rest. For another instrument, it won't have a rest. And I
> >> don't want the output to change dramatically depending on what's in
> >> the part.
> >>
> >> So of course, because voiceStaff is not meant to contain notes, it
> >> uses "s" all the time. And I very rarely produce scores, this case
> >> is absolutely typical for me in that we only have a bass-clef part,
> >> and because while some players in our section can read both, we have
> >> some players who can only read bass or treble clef so transposing is
> >> a regular requirement. So I'll have three parts to do, 1st, 2nd and
> >> bass.
> >
> > I haven't followed all that. Is this the sort of thing you want?
> >
> Pretty much. In your example it's exactly okay - the "poco allegretto"
> is to the right of the rehearsal mark, so the four marks take three
> lines to display. (Note I tend to use box-barnumber, so my rehearsal
> marks can get quite wide :-)
>
> Now, imagine the "poco allegretto" and "This is the army mr jones" were
> the other way round - the "This" would collide with the rehearsal mark,
> and it would take four lines.

I'm not quite sure why you'd do that. The tempo is part of the
music. The tune titles that you want to include are not. But you can
add spaces to the beginnings of strings to avoid collisions.

> I want some semi-automatic way so I can push the other markup to the
> right of the rehearsal mark and make sure I only use three lines. Oh -
> and if I use "extra-spacing-width" (which iirc works fine with
> multi-measure-rests), as soon as I have another part which actually has
> some notes in the first bar of the MMR, that first bar will be the same
> width as the markup so that then looks awful :-(

A lot in there. Your OP didn't have automation specified. Most people
drop into scheme for that, don't they?
Why not push the rehearsal mark left if you want loads of text to the right?
I don't get the bit about notes in a MMR. Isn't that a contradiction?

> The problem really is, all I want to do is stick multiple marks on a
> barline (which doesn't work, lily doesn't do multiple \mark's :-(, and I
> want to be able to move those markups to the right so they don't collide
> with the rehearsal mark. \tempo *partly* solves my problem.

Well, that's a relief. BTW you can have multiple marks. My example had
one \tempo and the rest were marks.

> The trouble
> is, all the tweaks I've come up with (like for example "s1 s1*11") all
> have side effects that don't matter in certain cases, and matter
> enormously in others.

I haven't yet seen an example of what you want, not anything that
you've produced in the dim and distant past that you barely remember.

> As Kieren said, this stuff is generic across all parts, so he and I want
> to store it in a generic variable that then gets merged with the notes.
> But there doesn't appear to be a syntax that isn't crucially dependent
> on the notes being merged, other than filling the generic variable with
> a whole bunch of special-case formatting tags, which totally misses the
> point of having a generic variable :-( (plus I haven't used tags yet,
> another learning curve ...)

Again, isn't that why people use scheme. Then you can see if a given
moment has a note or not, and choose your markup appropriately.
LP never looks very automatic to me. It doesn't even have an "if"
construction to make a decision.

Anyway, I made mr jones into a nonsensical "\tempo". The rehearsal
letter now appears above it of course. I stuck a note in before the
MMR for some reason though nothing is anchored to it; everything but
mr jones is a \mark. I'm just doodling—not sure why I bothered.

Cheers,
David.