Re: Python 3, was Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 2.19.0

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Python 3, was Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 2.19.0
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 09:56:34 +0200

Noeck <address@hidden> writes:

>> So how do you define "the default"
>
> As written before: What ships with the default installation.

So python3 needs to be invoked using #!/usr/bin/python3 in the scripts
(what happens when Python 4 gets created), and we need to either support
Python2 and Python3 in parallel (including from GUB) _or_ make a hard
switch where we change _every_ script to use Python3 _and_ change GUB
from one version to the next.

_And_ Wols insists that he does _not_ want to use a common subset of
Python2 and Python3 even temporarily but do this right away using
Python3-only features.

Now having a separate prescribed #!/usr/bin/python3 shebang may seem to
make testing half-way reliable.  But in reality, the LilyPond code base
does not contain #!/usr/bin/python to any sizable degree (there is a
single script which might be an oversight) but instead address@hidden@
so again, there does not seem to be much of an alternative for an
all-or-nothing approach, and trying to mix this with making use of new
language features at the same time seems like a logistic nightmare.

--
David Kastrup