Re: Python 3, was Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 2.19.0

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Python 3, was Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 2.19.0
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 13:46:48 +0200

How much python code are we talking about within the complete LilyPond project? The discussion until now seems to be a discussion about Python2/3 transitions in general. But maybe the situation isn't that bad. Many python syntax can be compatible with both Python2 and Python3 without much effort. There are in practice only a few things that are a bit harder. For example strings/unicode/binary datatypes. If it's only a limited amount of old code that requires some effort to make it compatible with both Py2 and Py3 than that might be worth considering. Writing new code using a common subset isn't that difficult. That's where the six library can help.

MT