Re: Guitar bend error

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Guitar bend error
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 00:18:10 +0200

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 11:38:31PM +0200, Thomas Morley wrote:

> > It was written by Marc Hohl I just adapted it to have no tab since I don't
> > use tab
> >

> > see
> >
> > https://github.com/openlilylib/openlilylib/tree/master/notation-snippets/guitar-string-bending

For the records, this is the new home:
https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/tree/master/ly/tablature

(the file is the same as in the old one, but future updates will be
pushed to the new location.. unless Urs wants to keep the old
in sync)

> > Line breaks over bending notes are not supported and they are currently
> > disabled, because otherwise the file would not compile as soon as page
> > formatting decisions create such a situation.
>

> Manual inserting \noBreak or \break will probably not enough, without
> \layout { \autoLineBreaksOff }
>
> Opposed to what is claimed in the quote from openlilylib above,
> disabling line-breaks do not work sufficiently.

I can add this to the README on github.

> See the out put from:
> \include "definitions.ily"
>
> \displayLilyMusic
> \relative c'' {
>     \bendOn
>         c1( d)
>         c1( d)
> }
>
> It returns in terminal:
>
> { { \override Voice.Slur.stencil = #slur::draw-pointed-slur
>     \override TabVoice.Slur.stencil = #slur::draw-bend-arrow
>     c''1( \noBreak } d''1) c''1( d''1) }
>
> The overrides last until the end, but the \noBreak occurs only once!!

True. Better to avoid these (likely) errors and use manual breaks.
Minimal example reworked in the new openlilylib style:

\version "2.19.40"
\include "openlilylib"

\useLibrary Tablature
% Workaround for issue #136 at
% https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/issues/136
#(display "")
\useModule tablature.bending

% Hack needed until issue #136 is fixed:
% https://github.com/openlilylib/openlilylib/issues/136
#(ly:message "loaded")

music = \relative c'' {
  \displayLilyMusic
  \bendOn
  c1( d)
  c1( d)
  c1( d)
  c1( d)
  c1( d)
  c1( d)
  c1( d)
  c1( d)
  c1( d)
  c1( d)
  c1( d)
  c1( d)
}

\new StaffGroup <<
  \new Voice \music
  \new TabVoice \music

% comment this line and it won't compile
\layout { \autoLineBreaksOff }