Replying to posts

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Replying to posts
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 20:00:23 +1000

Greetings All,

In a recent post David Wright asks of  a user:

> Please configure your client to post a text equivalent of your HTML code.

He also asked me to do that.

Daivd is using a text based email client. I was unaware until he mentioned it that people using such clients cannot always get a proper view of HTML posts, as they sometimes lack plain text parts, or with Outlook in my case, it does not put internet style quotes in the plain text part where the HTML email has vertical bars. This makes it hard for text email client users to see what has been quoted and is not ideal.

The list is plain text only. So if you use a mailer like Outlook and your default is to send HTML format mail, you need to configure Outlook to reply to email in the format in which it was sent, that is, here, plain text. Then list users will get properly formatted plain text replies with internet style ‘>’ quoting. I am pretty sure Outlook used to do this by default, but now it does not, and needs to be set up to do so.

I am certain that most Outlook users are oblivious to this. David is going to be sending such requests continually.

Therefore, I wonder is there is anywhere we can put guidelines for posting to the list?

Similarly, it would be good to educate people not to reply to the digest as a subject line, but to the thread in question. This is another thing that comes up frequently. Another point to add to list guidelines.

Can this advice go somewhere here perhaps?