Re: Python 3, was Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 2.19.0

From: Wilbert Berendsen
Subject: Re: Python 3, was Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 2.19.0
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 09:59:55 +0200

Op Sun, 24 Apr 2016 10:41:53 +0200
David Kastrup <address@hidden> schreef:

> And I haven't seen _any_ compelling argument yet _why_ there is no
> useful common ground between Python2 and Python3 that could do the job
> without major rewrites of the current code base.

I have maintained the Frescobaldi (written python) codebase for a long
time supporting both python 2.7 and 3.x.

It is not dificult to support both but it is really needed that you
require 2.7 at least when using python 2.

The python-ly library which I'm also the author/maintainer of will
support both Python 2.7 and 3 for the foreseeable future.

I think that gradually making the python codebase in LilyPond work with
2.7 and 3.2+ is doable and that will give enough flexibility for
packagers and distributors.

--
Wilbert Berendsen, musician
‣ mail: address@hidden