Re: Replying to posts

From: Anthonys Lists
Subject: Re: Replying to posts
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 19:25:14 +0100

On 27/04/2016 12:35, N. Andrew Walsh wrote:

With all due respect, considerate is as considerate does. Shouting and screaming because you use some obscure tool that doesn't work the way 99% of the internet messaging tools in use work, and expect people to be accommodating of you, isn't considerate.

Well,  here's the part where I feel like I should put the popcorn down and step back in. See, I've had to spend no small amount of time arguing with people higher up in the various institutions where I've worked, that I can't read mails they send in proprietary formats. I had one place that would type an email message as a Word document and send that as an email attachment, because they didn't understand how email worked. And I, that annoying nerd with the Linux box, had to point out every time that I couldn't read it and got told in no uncertain terms that I would "get mail like everybody else did" and kindly asked to keep my mouth shut.

And the reality is, most people HERE, including the most important ones! use simple, plain-text, email clients. There's a reason why Outlook Lusers are not welcome on most mailing lists, and that's because the result is incomprehensible, pretty fast!

Why is it that you get so many idiots who think that "ooh, shiny" is the same as "new, improved". Lilypond is not aimed at the "ooh shiny" brigade, so if you want to be part of that, please go somewhere else ...

>>> But the slow internet connection issue is not really a problem for emails, even at the snail-like speed of 1.6GBs.

I would absolutely LOVE a speed of 1.6GBs (This wasn't you Andrew, I know) but, much as some people may have moved up, I think a speed of 1.6Mb/s is much more common - and maybe four orders of magnitude slower! Amd even THAT is fast for a lot of people. Ever heard of the "long tail"? There's a lot of people still who are on slow links or pay-per-MB, and mailing list etiquette is aimed at not wasting OTHER PEOPLES' resources. It's just plain rude to expect otherwise.

Cheers,
Wol