Re: Replying to posts

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: Re: Replying to posts
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 23:02:24 +0200

I *told* you it would be a great nerd-fight. So long as we argue in good faith, and stay friends afterwards, it's all in good spirit.

<3

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 8:39 PM, Rafael Ramirez Morales <address@hidden> wrote:
Thanks everybody.

This has been one of the funniest flames in recent memory.

Funny because a benign "do not use HTML mail" hits the fan at warp speed.

Funny, because we are talking about LilyPond users here:
Many non-technical end users, maybe transitioning from
WYSIWYG/point-click to WYSIWYM.
Many if not most users producing complex graphically loaded typeset
documents, often attached to the emails, because they're impossible to
explain "in plain text" (and a major violation to other netiquette
standards).

Ultimately funny because, as mailing lists go, usually one uses the
tool at hand. Sometimes its Outlook, sometimes a WebMail application,
sometimes ThunderBird, Mutt, Gnus, pine, or a toaster. Many end users
may not even know, or usually can't choose their MUA.

So, as much as I agree on principle to recommend some "best practices"
for a mailing list, sometimes the best one can do is ask and hope for
the best.

(And to add to the General Knowledge base, Gmail allows for plain text
emails. Click on the down arrow at the bottom right of your message
and select "Plain text".)

Cheers.

On 27 April 2016 at 17:33, David Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed 27 Apr 2016, Chris Yate wrote:
>
>> To be honest, I'd suggest you ignore the people that whinge about HTML
>> emails, top-posting, etc. For the 20-something years I've been using the
>> internet there's always been pedantic arses on mailing lists that would
>> rather beat people up about the format of emails and people's grammar and
>> spelling than answer the damn question.
>

>> On 27 Apr 2016, "Andrew Bernard" <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > Although I started this thread, it was purely because David Wright had
>> > mentioned the difficulty to another user, as he had to me. I am not the one
>> > complaining! Wanting to be considerate of all folks on the list I took some
>> > effort to configure my Outlook in Office 365 to produce the correct output
>> > for HTML and plain text email with internet quoting style replies. It can
>> > certainly be done. There is no reason to ask people to stop using Outlook.
>> > What has changed is that its current default behaviour is the opposite of
>> > the past, and I was attempting to alert people to that. Even I was unaware.
> [...]
>> > In my opinion, internet etiquette would suggest that one be considerate
>> > of the community of mailing list users, and try to accomodate everyone as
>> > best one can. I can’t see why this is not desirable. Or perhaps I am
>> > completely obsolete, and etiquette in general is now considered old
>> > fashioned.
>
>> With all due respect, considerate is as considerate does. Shouting and
>> screaming because you use some obscure tool that doesn't work the way 99%
>> of the internet messaging tools in use work, and expect people to be
>> accommodating of you, isn't considerate.
>

>> ...to be clear
>>
>> I understand not everyone uses the same tools and we have different needs.
>> The thing that tends to rile me is the tone of the complaints.
>

> I have in the recent past posted (the first being the "Exhibit One"
> of this thread):
>
> "Please can you quote in a way that's visible in text clients, not just HTML ones."
>
> "Please configure your client to post a text equivalent of your HTML code."
>
> Perhaps you could help me improve the tone of these sentences as I
> don't want to be accused of shouting and screaming.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

We are (...) star stuff contemplating the stars (...) We are one
species. We are star stuff harvesting star light.
-- Carl Sagan