Re: Replying to posts

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Replying to posts
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 12:37:31 +1000

On 29 April 2016 at 12:18, Gilles <address@hidden> wrote:

> People here have given reasons that can translate into (implicit) rules.
> Another (meta-)rule is to behave the same way as others do (e.g. looking
> at the archives could give hints as to what is the norm).

The whole reason I began this thread was to ask if there may be some
simple way we could post the code of conduct/guidelines/policy for the
mailing list so that people could be made aware of it. Nobody has
addressed that simple point.

The problem with implicit rules is that they are hidden. Each person
has to discover them by themselves, taking time and effort to do so,
and making mistakes along the way, when a simple paragraph of explicit
rules eliminates all ambiguity.

Debian has dozens of mailing lists. They state a clear policy here: