Re: Replying to posts

From: mskala
Subject: Re: Replying to posts
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 23:51:57 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>   . Stay polite and avoid ad-hominem attacks.

Is that a real rule, or only what we wish were a rule?  I've seldom seen
more ad hominem on any list than I routinely see on this one, and it has
caused me to both block a couple of regular contributors in my local
filtering rules, and seriously consider both exiting the list and ceasing
to use LilyPond entirely.  I think a little bit more actual enforcement of
"no ad hominem" might improve things a lot, but strong censure of ad
hominem tactics has not happened, and I see strong reasons why it's
unlikely to happen in the future.

As a matter of *practice*, one rule of this list seems to be "ad hominem
is a perfectly legitimate way of making points, if you have a loud voice."

We also seem to have a rule of tolerating tantrums and threats.

--
Matthew Skala
address@hidden                 People before principles.