Re: Replying to posts

From: Chris Yate
Subject: Re: Replying to posts
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 13:14:11 +0100

On 29 April 2016 at 11:59, Johan Vromans <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have a very strong preference for one single place where all information
> lives. And I'm very happy with this mailing list.

Yes, although I personally find StackOverflow a far better way of
asking, answering and recalling questions, there's a heap of history
here that's very valuable.

> The last time I tried to ask a question on StackWhatever I was (un)kindly
> directed to another sub-StackWhatever, and then to another, and to another,
> so I just gave up.

Well, From reading StackOverflow a **lot** for work purposes, that's
usually because the question's in the wrong forum (or at least someone
thinks it is).

One downside to SO is that there are people who take great pleasure in
closing questions that "aren't a proper question", and so on. It's
better than the traditional kind of forum for coding questions (which
is 95% of this list). Whether it's better than a mailing list is a
different argument.

Whilst a Lilypond SO forum would be more publicly available than this
list, it wouldn't be as technically accessible to all concerned
(particularly the terminal window fans! :-) ).

However, I think it could only make Lilypond more accessible to the
general user. Does anyone actively object to the idea of having one?

cheers,

Chris