Re: Choice of pitch input mode

From: Anthonys Lists
Subject: Re: Choice of pitch input mode
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 14:48:30 +0100

On 29/04/2016 12:58, Matt Hood wrote:
Hi all,

I’ve got a non-technical question regarding mode of pitch input. What does
everyone prefer? Relative, absolute, or a mix of both?

Relative. Every time. Alhough I'm sure other people will disagree with me :-)

I’ve always stuck to relative, but I feel like I’ve hit a brick wall as far as
fluency goes. I’m still quite slow at it, and I spend half of my time trying to
work out whether I need to change octave or not - usually getting it wrong, and
watching half of a page disappear into ledger lines.

The problem isn't applying the rule (the rule is easy). The problem is *remembering* to apply the rule. If it's a fourth away or less then no modifier is needed. I actually find it more effort keeping note *lengths* accurate.

  Add in temporary polyphonic passages, chords, etc, and it all just becomes an
exercise in trial and error. Any tips for keeping control?

Mmmm. I don't tend to do chords ... I can see where that makes life difficult ... I think if I had to do a lot of chords I probably would switch to absolute. But for entering voices - and even when combining them - to me relative just seems so much simpler.

Any anecdotes or mildly related musings are welcome, I feel like it would be
good to facilitate a general discussion.

Cheers,
Wol