Re: Replying to posts

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Replying to posts
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 15:50:52 +0200

On 2016-04-29 12:30, Urs Liska wrote:
Am 29.04.2016 um 12:28 schrieb Federico Bruni:
Il giorno ven 29 apr 2016 alle 10:50, Simon Albrecht
<address@hidden> ha scritto:
On 29.04.2016 10:11, Johan Vromans wrote:

    . Provide a minimal working example (or a minimal not-working
      example).  The stress lies on *minimal*.  This shows us that you
      have at least tried to look into the manual before asking.

        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimal_Working_Example
Do not include the example in the text, but attach it to the message.

That’s not always sensible or necessary. If the e-mail is plain text
anyway, then there’s little problem with inline code.

I think that inline minimal examples are much better:

- you can easily comment its contents in the reply
- in the archives they appear immediately and you can read them
quickly instead of downloading .bin files

I think this needs some clarification:

Inserting *code* examples within the text is usually very good for
communication. I think the suggested ban on inline examples referred to
*images*

There's one single reason why I sometimes prefer even small code pieces in attachments, despite the fact that I usually like to read them inline: If there is a lone ">>" (which happens quite often in LilyPond code, for obvious reasons), it messes up with many mail client's idea of what a quote is. I know, it's well-specified that such a construct can be escaped with whitespace at the beginning of the line, but not every client implements that.

So my relaxed suggestion is: feel free to write small code pieces inline, but if you do so, place no ">>" on lines of themselves. As if anyone (including myself) were to remember that...

Best,
Alexander