Re: Why are my full-measure rests engraved as two rests?

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Why are my full-measure rests engraved as two rests?
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 05:02:14 -0700 (MST)

Henry,

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 5:54 AM, Henry Law [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
According the the Notation Reference (1.2.2) "A full-measure rest is
printed as either a whole or breve rest, centered in the measure,
depending on the time signature". But on my 2.18.2 installation the
following

\version "2.18.2"

\score {
   <<
     \new Voice \with {
       \consists "Pitch_squash_engraver"
     } {
       \time 4/4
       \improvisationOn
       bes4. c8~c4 r4 |
       \compressFullBarRests
       R1*3 |

... produces whole-measure rests represented curiously as a breve and a
whole-note rest, as shown in
http://www.lawshouse.org/music/minimal_example.jpg  I tried it without
Pitch_squash_engraver, and also without improvisationOn and got the same
results.

Sigh ... I expect it's me, but I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

Well, it is you and it isn't. What you are seeing is a classical representation of rests greater than one bar. By default, LilyPond will do this kind of thing up to 10 bars (I think). If you were hoping to get the usual "H"-style rest, then just reduce the number of bars for when this occurs, like:

\override MultiMeasureRest.expand-limit = #1

or something like that (look at the "Selected Snippets" section on the page that describes rests for more details and examples). This override says that when there are MORE than this number, create an "H"-style rest.

HTH,
Abraham