Re: London-Heathrow

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: London-Heathrow
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 00:46:20 +0200

Am 04.05.2016 um 15:58 schrieb Phil Holmes:
> Depending on how much your budget is, you can easily get to London and
> back in that time:
>
> https://www.heathrowexpress.com/

Hm, considering the discussions below I have the impression that 36
Pounds is a little much if I have to expect an hour (at most!) in town.

Am 04.05.2016 um 16:05 schrieb Henry Law:
> The trouble is not the getting to and from the centre of London; it's
> the time that would be taken to get out of the airport, and the time
> that has to be allowed to get back in again in time for your flight!

Indeed!

> Let's say:
>
> Touchdown 12:40 (that's what airlines quote); actually arrive at the
> gate say 12:45.
> It could easily take an hour to clear immigration.  13:45

This is something that might take considerably less, but I'm not sure.
I'm an EU citizen - but legally the incoming flight originates in
Switzerland.

> Walk to railway station and buy ticket.  Depends on which terminal you
> come in at but let's say 15 mins.  14:00
> Train to Paddington station is "15 minutes every 15 minutes", so mean
> time from LHR to there is 22.5 mins; say 14:25.
> Paddington itself isn't anywhere you want to see; you need to get on
> the Tube and go a bit further.  Buy ticket, get tube, etc say 20 mins.
> 15:05 you're at Piccadilly Circus, or the South Bank, or wherever.
> Further to the Tower of London.
>
> Now at the other end.  For an international flight you are supposed to
> leave two hours.

Well, I'm pretty sure I don't need to check in again, as I have already
done so at my initial airport. So I'd "only" need to calculate the
actual distances, security controls and passport control and have to
arrive at the gate 30 minutes before take-off.

> Let's say you don't mind cutting it fine and you plan to be there at
> 16:45.  It took you 1:20 to get into London, so assume 1:15 back out
> again: need to leave at 15:30, giving you 25 minutes of sightseeing!
>
> You could do it more quickly than that, of course, if everything fell
> right.  But it could also take longer, which sounds like major stress ...

... well, that's the calculation I was thinking about. Even if I had an
hour in town that's maybe negligible compared to the effort and maybe
even the worries of missing the connection.

Am 04.05.2016 um 16:25 schrieb Wols Lists:
> If you just want to do some sightseeing, I'd suggest getting the
> Picadilly to Leicester Square (50 mins). That's in the middle of Soho,
> or China Town. Head south to the river, and it takes you to Trafalgar
> Square, Charing Cross Road, St Martin in the Fields, that sort of area.
> From Trafalgar Square you can head down to Westminster and the Houses of
> Parliament. (Then you can catch the Jubilee to Green Park and Picadilly
> back to Heathrow.)

Something along these lines would probably be "it". However, as said
above, I'm afraid it's not worth the effort and worries, particularly as
I have to say that I already know that (well, at least I've been there
for a week two years ago.

So I'm afraid I'll have to drop all the helpful further efforts
regarding the ticketing options.

It'll be a rather long time at the airport, but it seems to be the only
*viable* option for me.

Best
Urs