Introduction / GSoC - ScholarLY Annotations

From: Jeffery Shivers
Subject: Introduction / GSoC - ScholarLY Annotations
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 12:15:52 -0400

Dear all,

I am writing to introduce myself and hopefully begin a role an active part of this community. I am a student / composer in Boston, and I have used LilyPond for a few years now. I've gotten a lot of help from this list (mostly lurking the archives, I admit), especially up until the last year when my notational needs have sort of *strayed* from convention (jefferyshivers.com). In any case, the collaborations / advice that happens in this group is really something for you to be proud of, and this is a much too belated acknowledgement of my appreciation!

The main reason for this introduction is that I am one of the Google Summer of Code students this year. My project is to work on the OpenLilyLib's ScholarLY annotations -- to work on the module itself, as well as to create a package for its functionality with LaTeX. My mentor is Urs Liska, who initiated the whole project in the first place.

This is a super promising tool for users of LilyPond who want to create critical / scholarly editions with LilyPond, as well as to maximize the communication of details within collaborative workflows (so that annotations can be used / referenced inside of the Frescobaldi interface in addition to being exported to various formats).

https://github.com/openlilylib/scholarly/wiki/GSoC

I hope that I can count on this group's help during the summer as I'll surely run into some obstacles / questions that may be best advised by you. If you are also on the devel list, I'm sure I'll see you there, too!

I'm incredibly excited to see this project through and to share a successful outcome in a few short months.

All my best,
Jeffery