Placing a section name at the start of a staff

From: Anthonys Lists
Subject: Placing a section name at the start of a staff
Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 19:06:27 +0100

Basically, I want to do pretty much what "instrument name" does in a score - I want to put the name of the section in front of the start of the staff. The problem is, as always, when you use a feature for what it's not intended for, you can get unexpected side effects. I've got four sections, so that'll mean four \score's. Will I get unexpected (read - unwanted) headers between the scores? Basically, if you don't notice the section name, you shouldn't realise that the music doesn't just flow on.

My other approach to doing this sort of thing is "\stopStaff \cadenzaOn ... \cadenzaOff \startStaff" but will this suppress things like key signature etc at the start of the line? My initial experiments in that respect haven't worked, although it seems obvious to me why. But I don't want to carry on down that route if it's going to turn into a rabbit's warren of tweaks and fixes to get right.

Searching the lsr or googling just points me at loads of stuff about "outside staff objects" - not surprisingly since text is normally outside the staff - but it leaves me wondering "am I not using the right search terms, or is there nothing to find?".

How do other people deal with section names? Especially, how do you do it like the score I'm copying - at the start of the line ...

Cheers,
Wol