Re: format-mark function for A, B, C, …, X, Y, Z, Aa, Bb, Cc, …

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: format-mark function for A, B, C, …, X, Y, Z, Aa, Bb, Cc, …
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 00:02:13 +0200

Am 16.08.2015 um 22:00 schrieb Thomas Morley:
Hi list,

sometimes there are more than 25 or 26 rehearsal marks in a piece.
LilyPond’s format-mark-(alphabet|letters) function and friends continue
after X, Y, Z with AA, AB, AC, …

I have never seen this in printed scores. Instead all scores I’ve seen
continue with doubled letters (the second lowercase): Aa, Bb, Cc. And once
I’ve even seen … Yy, Zz, Aaa, Bbb, …

I made functions format-mark-(alphabet|letter)-var and boxed and circled
variants which implement this behaviour (see attached patch). So now I would
like to know:

Is there an interest in having this behaviour in LilyPond (maybe as a
variant)? Or have you seen something similar (f. e. everything uppercase)?
If so, how to name these functions? And would I have to post this to bug- or
dev-list? They’re not perfect yet, for example I didn’t know how to use
vector-map ;)

Or is this something for openlilylib instead of original LilyPond?

Malte

Hi Malte,

you could discuss on -devel.

Maybe I'd let the patch discuss after it is part of the usual review process.
I.e. issue created, patch uploaded.

I don’t have the time to discuss this and make a patch but if anyone is interested: Some time ago I implemented a single markFormatter function which can do this and some other things (roman numbers, oval frames, lowercase/mixed case marks).