Automatically change staff instrument name

From: Davide Liessi
Subject: Automatically change staff instrument name
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 13:21:36 +0200

Hi all.

In the following code, the two short instrument names "A" and "B" of
the second system are put one on top of the other (as I expected).
I can solve the collision manually, e.g. with something similar to the
three commented lines.

Is there a way to automatically change the short instrument names (or
any other property) based on the visible staves?

Thanks for any pointer.
Best wishes.
Davide

\version "2.19.35"
\new StaffGroup \with {
  shortInstrumentName = "A"
  \RemoveEmptyStaves
} <<
  \new Staff { c'1 \break R1 \break c'1 }
  \new Staff \with { shortInstrumentName = "B" } {
    c'1
    %\once \set StaffGroup.shortInstrumentName =
    %\markup { \center-column { "A" "B" } }
    %\once \set Staff.shortInstrumentName = ""
    c'1 c'1