Re: Using strings and other types to return markup

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Using strings and other types to return markup
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 23:04:36 +1000

Hi Phil,

On 11/05/2016, 9:12 PM, "lilypond-user on behalf of Phil Holmes"
<address@hidden on behalf of address@hidden> wrote:

>2.  It's a bit more complicated, though.  16th century printers have a habit
>of eliding an n from a word and instead putting what looks like (but might
>not be) a tiny tilde above the previous letter to show this.

I was also wondering why you were not using Unicode. Anyway, do you have any
images showing examples of this 16c practice? I would be interested to have a
look. This is, as you say, a different requirement to using a fixed unicode
glyph from a font. I think I have seen similar practice in 18c English printed
text, but I don’t think the wiggles that I have seen are tildes as such. You
are reaLly after something for text glyphs that is similar to an ornament on a
note glyph.

Now that I come to think of it, there is a vast typographic tradition of
putting symbols on top of letters to mean various abbreviations, for example
the old No. with a bar over the o to mean the abbreviation for number. A really
interesting topic. The scheme code is definitely worth having in hand.

Andrew