Re: Using strings and other types to return markup

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Using strings and other types to return markup
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 16:04:05 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Bernard" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 2:04 PM

Hi Phil,

On 11/05/2016, 9:12 PM, "lilypond-user on behalf of Phil Holmes" <address@hidden on behalf of address@hidden> wrote:

2. It's a bit more complicated, though. 16th century printers have a habit
of eliding an n from a word and instead putting what looks like (but might
not be) a tiny tilde above the previous letter to show this.

I was also wondering why you were not using Unicode. Anyway, do you have any images showing examples of this 16c practice? I would be interested to have a look. This is, as you say, a different requirement to using a fixed unicode glyph from a font. I think I have seen similar practice in 18c English printed text, but I don’t think the wiggles that I have seen are tildes as such. You are reaLly after something for text glyphs that is similar to an ornament on a note glyph.

Now that I come to think of it, there is a vast typographic tradition of putting symbols on top of letters to mean various abbreviations, for example the old No. with a bar over the o to mean the abbreviation for number. A really interesting topic. The scheme code is definitely worth having in hand.

Here we go - late C16 (1597 to be precise). Note also the abbreviated "ye" - I think this is a tiny "e" above the "y".

--
Phil Holmes