[OT] Scribal abbreviations (Was: Re: Using strings and other types to re

From: Graham King
Subject: [OT] Scribal abbreviations (Was: Re: Using strings and other types to return markup)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 18:28:31 +0100

Strictly speaking, I think we're talking about a macron, rather than a tilda.  It's not just macrons of course: Phil is dabbling in the wonderful world of scribal abbreviations.  Most people are interested in expanding (rather than reproducing) the abbreviations, and for anyone trying to do so the following reference might be helpful (particularly if you're dealing with facsimiles of manuscript, rather than early printed sources):

"The elements of abbreviation in medieval Latin paleography" by Adriano Capelli, translated by David Heimann & Richard Kay[1]

Unicode support for these glyphs is described at the Medieval Unicode Font Initiative [2].

The whole subject is a bit of a rabbit-hole, and can easily lead to an entire evening spent translating the attached image to the word "jocundissima" ... :)

[1] https://kuscholarworks.ku.edu/handle/1808/1821
[2] http://folk.uib.no/hnooh/mufi/specs/index.html

Hope this is helpful and not too far off-topic.

-- Graham